The Kids Are Watching

There was a different energy in the air at the game last night.

“He goes inside on me one more time, I’m going out there I swear to God.” my usually mild-mannered son muttered to the catcher through gritted teeth, completely out of character.

Then came the next batter. He is tall and from a distance appears athletic and imposing, but on closer inspection is tentative, awkward, shy. He was immediately and unintentionally plunked by the poorly located pitch of the unskilled craftsman on the mound.

“Charge the mound!!!” the dugout screamed then started a chant “Mann-y! Manny-y! Mann-y!!!” He tucked his head and quietly went to first base, unsure.

Most of us baseball fans understand why Manny Machado chose to retaliate against Yordano Ventura. In fact, many of us begrudgingly celebrate it.

By now we areย way, way, way past looking to professional athletes to serve as role models for our young sons. Perhaps it is good for them to see that the best way to confront a bully is to punch him out.

Or…is it?

9 thoughts on “The Kids Are Watching

1. vincentcarlos July 8, 2016 / 6:45 pm

this is the first blog on baseball I’ve ever found, and looking at your website I see there are a lot of other baseball blogs too. I’m a dodger fan, but will be interested in reading more of your posts:)

Liked by 1 person

• She Talks Baseball July 12, 2016 / 8:15 pm

Thanks Vincent! Your blog is really, really interesting and I look forward to reading more! Just last week I made my first trip to your Dodgers Stadium. What an amazing place. ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• vincentcarlos July 14, 2016 / 4:43 am

yea i’m not sure if you saw the home run derby, but your orioles (mark Trumbo) got the best of us dodgers (corey seager) it’s nice to meet you, look forward to more baseball related posts

Liked by 1 person

• She Talks Baseball July 15, 2016 / 12:39 am

I did see it – it was kind of cool that I had just seen Corey Seager and here he was going up against Mark Trumbo! Corey Seager is pretty amazing either way! I really like your blog too and I’ll look forward to reading more! ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

2. scontursi June 11, 2016 / 3:03 pm

I think the same for my grandkids, but then I also believe that sometimes it’s best to let them see the “world” as it actually is. Manny (as he said quite eloquently) did what came natural to him reacting to the moment. By all accounts, he a decent man and a good teammate. We have a hole at third base in New York though if you guys wanna part with him……..(Mmmmm…..didn’t think so)

Liked by 1 person

• She Talks Baseball June 13, 2016 / 11:25 pm

๐Ÿ™‚ You’re right Steve. Unfortunately I can understand why Manny did that – 99 mph? So dangerous and potentially career ending. I hear his price tag may be in the $400 mil range down the road…so he may be in New York sooner than we think. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

3. The Baseball Bloggess June 10, 2016 / 9:18 pm

I guess the best thing to do is to encourage our kids to enjoy the game but to look elsewhere for inspiration and role models, right? And, how about that 17-year-old kid who was drafted by the Cardinals last night after failing a PED test? That kid clearly learned from his “role models” in baseball that PEDs will take you places … and then the Cardinals basically agreed, “Yup, we don’t care what you do, It’s ok with us.”

I don’t think it was ok for Manny to charge the mound, but I understand why he did it. I understand that baseball is so different at its highest level, that the intensity is so much higher than we can see out in the stands. But, I much preferred the retaliation of the back-to-back homeruns that followed. ๐Ÿ™‚ And, I appreciate that the Orioles didn’t feel the need to hit back in retaliation. You could say they retaliated in the best way possible … a sweep!

Liked by 1 person

• She Talks Baseball June 11, 2016 / 1:41 am

I agree with you 100 percent (again!) BB!!!! I understand why Manny reacted the way he did. 99 miles per hour??? That could end a career (or a life). I guess I am just getting tired of the fighting in baseball and frankly, in our society in general. I know that I am not alone in this at all.

Please Share Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s