Today’s Special Value – Doug Fister

We don’t know what the great baseball minds are doing. We can only imagine the hushed conversations and complex statistical analyses and the fast-flying calls, texts and e-mails. But February is bearing down quickly and there remains a gaping hole in the Orioles starting rotation that personally, I don’t believe can be filled by in-house resources. I feel like I am watching QVC when they say, “there are only three left at today’s special value price so don’t hesitate.” It is time to place the order, and I’d like to suggest righty free-agent pitcher Doug Fister.

At only 31, he’s a seasoned pitcher with good-looking numbers that rival those of the most respected pitchers in the game (source: baseball-reference.com – every baseball stats geek’s favorite web site).  In 3 years with the Mariners he had a 3.81 ERA. In 3 years with the Tigers he had a 3.29 ERA. In 2 years with the Nationals he had a 3.10 ERA, but unfortunately dealt with a forearm tendon strain injury in 2015 causing him to go on the DL in May and June of that year.

Baseball Reference has projected him as having a 3.57 ERA in 2016.

In 2014, he ranked 4th in NL Pitching Leaders in Earned Run Average (2.41) only behind Adam Wainwright, Johnny Cueto and Clayton Kershaw.  Also in 2014, he finished 7th in NL Wins. Not long ago, in 2014, he ranked 8th in voting for the NL Cy Young award.

He earned $11 million with the Nationals last year. Who knows how much money (if any) the Orioles have left to spend, but like many others, I’d suggest that Doug Fister is worth a very serious look. I say grab him..before someone else does.

And Doug, I know that you are a California guy, but you have lived in the DC area for the past two years. Why would you want to give up weather…like this?

WP_20160124_004

Where’s my…mailbox?

10 thoughts on “Today’s Special Value – Doug Fister

• Maria January 28, 2016 / 9:19 pm

Thanks T – Yepppp – I’ve heard good and bad about him but I thought he was worth pursuing. Watch – he’ll dominate in Houston now…(or…maybe not…) 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. The Baseball Bloggess January 25, 2016 / 9:27 pm

I think Fister is pretty much the popular choice right now … as there’s not much to choose from. Then again, when your team calls Chris Tillman their ace, you know the bar isn’t set too high to begin with.

If the baseball gods are fair and kind they will heal up Tim Lincecum and when he showcases next month the O’s will snap him up. That said, the baseball gods have never been fair or particularly kind, so it’s probably not the best move, I’m afraid, even though I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for The Freak.

I’m keeping my finger’s crossed that former Hoo Tyler Wilson continues to blossom. He’s the real deal, I think … but needs a bit more seasoning and he isn’t quite ready to fill the hole this season.

Liked by 2 people

• Maria January 26, 2016 / 2:04 am

Agree with you on all points! 🙂 Wouldn’t it be SO COOL to have The Freak here in Baltimore? Tyler Wilson is really great but I agree that he needs a little more time…

• Maria January 25, 2016 / 7:39 pm

You’re probably right….last year wasn’t great for him…and we really could use a lefty…but I’m desperate…lol 🙂

2. Minoring In Baseball January 25, 2016 / 2:54 pm

I really liked Fister during his stint in Detroit. I never did understand why they traded him away, and really have already traded away the players they got for him. Definitely not one of the Tigers better deals! If the O’s manage to sign him, he would be a great addition.
    -Mike

Liked by 1 person

• Maria January 26, 2016 / 2:06 am

That is good to know-I was going to ask you how you liked him with the Tigers…:)

Liked by 1 person

3. T. Wayne January 25, 2016 / 3:34 am

I agree Maria. The Orioles need to get to work acquiring some pitching. The days are growing short. There may only be “three left” on the market if the O’s don’t start making some moves.

Liked by 1 person

Please Share Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s